Saturday, June 20, 2009

Ants in the hive


Ants in the bee hive
  I noticed thousands of black carpenter ants on inner hive lid. After freaking out for a minute I sweep all the ants away with a broom. Then decided to go into the hive for inspection. Not prepared at all (no veil, no bee suit, and no smoker) I opened the inner cover and was amazed by what work they had done already. After a quick inspection ( looking for the ants inside) I reassembled the frames and lids. I then rubbed axle grease on the hive stand legs. Insects won't cross grease. I also crushed some charcoal and put around legs as a repellent.  The following few mornings I checked inner lid for ants and found a few. Then I noticed the lid had little ant chambers (tunnels) in the frame of lid. I built another lid and I switched out lids. My ant problem is gone for now.

Ants don't like:

* Crossing axle grease
* Cinnamon
* Borax soap will kill ants
* Spearmint
** Try to avoid strong chemicals around bee hives





Treating Mites With Mite Away Quick Strips (MAQS)

If you have kept bees for very long than you know about the Varroa mite. This pest returns to the hive on foraging bees that are working th...

Search This Blog